Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Sharing Holy Week with Family; A Great Honor Bestowed; and Holy Monday


If nothing else, Holy Week (Semana Santa) in Spain is a time to spend with family as the  resurrection of Christ is celebrated.

My wife, my children, and the good friends with which we usually share an Easter meal are back in Illinois.  This year, they will celebrate Easter Sunday without me, as I explore the traditions, customs and culture of Holy Week in León, Spain.  So, I was very pleased that my niece, Sofía, and her fiancé, Ronny arrived from Switzerland yesterday afternoon to spend the Semana Santa with me and my mother-in-law, María Rosa.  On Easter Sunday, I will still be thinking of my family and friends back in Illinois, but time spent with my family here will be special because of their presence.


Ronny and Sofía went out with me for a drink and tapas this afternoon. My wife, my children and I plan on attending their wedding in Guatemala in Janurary of next year. (You can click on photographs in this blog for a larger view.  Use the "escape" or "esc" key to return to a normal view.)



As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been very honored to be invited to take part in Holy Week activities here in León. It is not often that an "outsider" is invited to experience the tradition of the religious processions (procesíons) as an active participant.  However, on Wednesday night at midnight, I will wear the papón (hood and habit) of the Brotherhood of the Seven Words of Christ on the Cross (Cofradía de las Siete Palabras de Jesús en la Cruz) in the Solemne Viá Crusis Procesional (Solemn Way of the Cross Procession.)  While we will be wearing the habits of the Brotherhood, we will not be carrying the giant pasos.  Then, if the weather holds for Good Friday, I will march in a much bigger procession with pasos representing the seven quotes said by Christ on the Cross.  I witnessed the procession two years ago.  This time I will be a participant.  Like I said, "If the weather holds," as there is a liklihood of signifigant rain and snow in the forcast for Friday.


 
The white hoods, red tunics, and black capes are the papónes of the Brotherhood of the Seven Words of  Christ on the Cross.  This procession is from 2016.


I was very proud to receive my papón (hood and habit) early this afternoon.  Immediately upon arriving home, I tried it on.
  
Me in my papón.
Me, with my mother-in-law, María Rosa.


Sofia, María Rosa and me.  Speaking of family, in the photo on the wall above my head are my father-in-law, Javier (now deceased); my wife at about two or three years old; and my mother-in-law holding my wife's younger sister, Ana (Sofia's mother.)


OK, after all that, I realized I could just walk up to the wall with my phone (camera) and give you a close up of the photograph.

Again, I must say "thank you" to Eduardo de Paz for inviting me to take part in the activities of the Brotherhood that he founded in 1962. I am honored more than he can possibly know.


Despite my little digression about family and tradition, I would be neglignet if I didn't give you a few photos from Holy Monday (lunes santo). While there were three processions on Monday night, they all overlapped, and I chose only one to photograph.  The Procesión de la Pasión (Procession of Passion) is important because the youngest of the three Brotherhoods that sponsor it is 406 years old. The oldest Brotherhood dates to 1578 and the two youngest date to 1611 and 1612.


The first of three pasos in the procession, shortly after leaving the Church of Santa Nonia.
Women wear high heels despite a very long procession route.
The second of the three pasos.
The third and final paso of the procession.


I will be blogging about Holy Week from León and much more in the upcoming days.  If you would like to follow along and receive a notification when a new post appears, please subscribe by clicking here and entering your email address.

You can view my fine art photography website at:  www.tombellart.com.



This blog has been named one of the top 75 fine art photography blogs on the planet.



No comments:

Post a Comment