Thursday, March 22, 2018

Murals: Street Art in León

When I was in León, Spain last summer, I photographed a mural adjacent to the famed Gothic cathedral in the city's center.  I had my iPhone with me and it served very well to produce an image that has since received some attention and been featured in an exhibition at the Shrode Gallery at the Mitchell Museum in Mt. Vernon, Illinois.

Modern and Medieval:  This image was taken in the summer of 2017.  My iPhone was ideal for producing this wide angle view. (You can click on images in this blog for a larger view.  Hit the "Escape" or "esc" key to return to normal viewing.)
As I walked about the city's center yesterday afternoon, I returned to la Calle de las Palomas (Street of Doves) to see if the mural was still there.  It was.  There were also two other murals that I hadn't photographed at the time, one of a lion, and in the center, famed boxer Muhammad Ali.  I had my Nikon D7200 with me this time and photographed all of the images on the three adjacent walls.

A closer shot.

The lion mural is directly across from the painting of the man with the Afro and comb.

The image of Muhammad Ali is in the center of the other two murals.
When I was in León for Holy Week in 2016, there was another work of street art near the Church of Santa Nonia.  I've walked most of the streets of central León.  There may be other major works of street art, but if so, I haven't found them.

I photographed Eyes of Santa Nonia on the morning of a Holy Week procession in 2016.  When I was here last summer, it had degraded considerably, but was still there.  Street art is ephemeral and  must be enjoyed while it is there.  Photography helps preserve it.
I will be blogging about Holy Week and much more during the upcoming days.  Please subscribe to my blog by clicking here is you would like to be updated when there is something new.


You can view my fine art photography website at:  www.tombellart.com.



This blog has been named one of the top 75 fine art photography blogs on the planet.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment