Friday, April 22, 2016

Legos are Real Art in León's Holy Week

In addition to the millions of kids who love Legos, I know there are adults who revel in the imaginary creations they can achieve with small precision-made pieces of plastic.  I've always considered these construction projects a way for the so-called-artist to hold on to a piece of youth, a tribute to childhood and innocence, as these mature Legos artisians use tiny plastic people and props to create scenes from Star Wars or the Indy 500, or a million other possible scenarios. My perception has always been that these are generally good, honest people who have kept open a healthy, semi-artistic escape valve that allows them to deal with the vicissitudes of life by immersing themselves in creating miniature realities.

However, I now know that I've underestimated at least some of those I might have once considered artistic dabblers or creative model-makers.  My apologies to you Legos enthusiasts: Some of you are true, honest-to-goodness, artists. As those of you who have been following me and my blog know, I spent the weeks surrounding Easter (2016) in Leon, Spain, writing about and photographing its unique celebration of Holy Week, including the amazing processions that have been a staple of Easter for centuries. One of the things I reported on briefly was a display of Legos in a embroidery shop window that gave an artistic, but quite realistic impression of a Holy Week (Semana Santa)  procession. It was more than an ambitious Legos project.  In my opinion, it reached a level of creativity that raised it to the level of real art, so I thought I'd share more of the photos. By the way, if you've never seen one of Spain's famous religous processions and don't have a clue as to what one is like, you can get a real feel for the event just by observing this display in an embroidery shop window.
 

The Legos display in the window of Bordados al Instante is an amazing representation of a Holy Week procession.  You can see my reflection in the upper part of the window as I take the photograph.   (You can click on photos for a larger view.)


This is the view of an actual procession.  Note how similar the Legos representations are to the real scene.


I'm not sure that I saw anyone carrying golf clubs, since in actuality, there's no golf course nearby, but otherwise the scene is very believable.


The religious pasos (floats) are quite detailed.


Another close up of one of the scenes
Even the balcony above the central plaza is detailed with exceptional precision.


At nighttime, the streetlights come on to illuminate the scene.


some
Passersby constantly stop by the shop window to photograph the scene.

The next time I'm in León during Holy Week, I'll have to see how the display changes over time.  I understand it's here every year, and that it gets better in every new incarnation.

In my next blog entry, I show yo how some of the other shop windows celebrate Easter with their own creations, although without Legos.

If you want to go back and see my other Holy Week entries from Spain, you can view them here:

Part 1: Preparing for Easter Week (Semana Santa) in León, Spain – An Unexpected Surprise of Tradition, Legos, Family, Pharmaceuticals, Food & Drink
Part 2: Holy Week in León -- Family, Tradition & Food
Part 3:  The Holy Week Processions of León -- Faith and Optimism for the Future
Part 4:  Procession of the Pasos: Twenty Photographs to Help You Understand Holy Week in León on This Good Friday
Part 5:  Holy Week in León: The Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross
Part 6:  Easter in León

You can view my website at www.tombellart.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment